The Lord’s Prayer
“One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” Luke 11:1 NIV
✓ I feel ashamed.
✓ I feel obligated.
✓ I don’t know what to say.
✓ I don’t think He is listening.
✓ I don’t want to bother Him.
✓ I don’t trust Him.
✓ I don’t get an answer.
Real prayer is driven by relationship, not need or crisis.
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one, for yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.” Matthew 6:9-13 NIV
1. Connect with God relationally. - “Our Father in heaven”
“You have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15 NLT
2. Worship His Name. - “Hallowed be Your Name”
“God's name is a place of protection—the righteous can run there and be safe.” Proverbs 18:10 MSG
3. Pray His agenda first. “Your Kingdom come Your will be done.”
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33 NIV
4. Depend on Him for everything. - “Give us this day our daily bread”
“I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!” Psalm 121:1-2 NLT
5. Get your heart right with God and people. - “Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors”
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 NIV
6. Engage in spiritual warfare. - “Do not lead us into temptation but deliver us from the evil one”
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12 NIV
7. Express faith in God’s ability. - “For yours is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory forever.”
“Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.” Jeremiah 32:17 NIV
"To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!" Revelation 5:13 NIV
Prayer is the natural outflow of a healthy relationship with God.